Monday, January 31, 2011

4 Things You Should Never Keep


I'm going to be moving soon, and while the majority of my belongings are still packed away, I have been wearing all of my clothes (duh) and using everything else besides my kitchen stuff. Of course, now that I'm moving, I have started to go through my stuff and get rid of things that I haven't used since I moved into this house. Throughout this purging, I've devised a list of things you shouldn't keep...ever.

1. Old medication. If you have prescriptions you didn't finish (and if you do, tsk tsk! Finish your prescriptions!), don't keep them. Medication has an expiration date for a reason and do you really want to run the risk of taking old drugs in a fever induced delusion? No. Please note, my expired pills include ibuprofen and aspirin that I bought a long time ago (because I always finish my prescriptions). Also, as a water guy's daughter, I feel compelled to tell you this very important fact: don't flush old medicine down the toilet. The waste water treatment plant isn't designed to treat water for drugs, it treats water for sewage. Talk to your local pharmacist about getting rid of old drugs.

2. Shampoo that didn't work. I just recently bought new shampoo that did not work miracles for my hair. In fact, it made my hair really gross and not good. So I got new shampoo again. And I'm not keeping the old shampoo. Even though it was really expensive and the bottles are basically full, I'm going to throw it away. Because it didn't work and made my hair gross. The same goes for other hair products that didn't perform as promised. Why would you want to keep something around that doesn't do what it says it will do? And why would you keep something around that makes you feel gross?

3. Old phone numbers. All of this "spring" cleaning has inspired me to go through my phone too. I have so many unnecessary phone numbers. Phone numbers for jerky boys from the past, phone numbers for people that I never talked in the first place, phone numbers for people who probably don't even use that number anymore. I've gone through my phone and have deleted extraneous contacts. Now if only I could apply this logic to my Facebook friends list...

4. Clothes that don't flatter. I have a lot of shirts and pants and some skirts that I rarely wear because they aren't flattering. I'm not sure why I keep them. Clothes should make you feel good and look good, and if they don't accomplish those two simple tasks, get rid of them. However, if you even THINK about suggesting that I get rid of any of my shoes, you should probably back off. Even though I know I have far too many pairs of shoes.

Other things I've thrown away that don't merit a bullet point include: a bad wig from Halloween, a ridiculously slutty Marilyn Monroe dress that went with the horrendous wig, and some jewelry procured in a White Elephant gift exchange. What can I say? I'm not a sentimental person.

What do you toss in the event of a move? Or what would you get rid of if you had to move?

No comments:

Post a Comment