Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Anxiety


I'm feeling very crabby today, and my best guess for it's cause is the impending doom of "Snowmageddon 2011" (as the dean of faculty called it). I tend to get anxious about bad weather because I'm a decidedly fair weather person, and the last time a snowstorm was hyped this much (in my recent memory, at least), it snowed for five days straight and Spokane ended up with five feet of snow. I'm talking about the kind of snow where you have to shovel every few hours to stay ahead, don't even think about driving anywhere, and oh hey, if you don't shovel off the roof, you'll probably end up with shingles and snow in your living room.

So, long story short, I'm anxious about the snow. This anxiety is compounded by the fact that I have to move to Chicago next week, and the thought of carrying all of my belongings over berms and through multiple feet of snow is starting to make me feel like I'm developing ulcers and having a heart attack at the age of 22.

This anxiety is being repurposed and redistributed to the epicenter of crabbiness in my brain. My day started reasonably well. I tried out a new alarm clock (the appropriately named "iTunes Alarm Clock." Find it here. Macs only, sorry.) and woke up on time to my favorite playlist. Because I woke up on time, I was able to enjoy my shower. The shampoo I bought to replace the previous crap worked wonders and my hair is once again loving life.

Then it started.

In anticipation of the snow, I picked shoes I don't particularly care for. Fail #1. Then I had to scrape my windshield. Fail #2. Then I drove to work, only to find that there are some people who cannot and will not even try to deduce where lines for parking spots should be, and had to park far enough away that I may as well have just walked to work. Fail #3. And to top it all of, the waffles that I had coated with peanut butter were neither warm nor crispy by the time I got to work. Cold, soggy, peanut butter covered waffles. Fail #4.

So there you have it, my dear friends. How to ruin my day in four simple steps:

1. Make me wear shoes I hate. These shoes don't give me the silhouette I like, and aren't really all that comfortable. In fact, I only bought them for one outfit (ridiculous, I know) and should probably get rid of them. But I won't, because they're shoes.

2. Bad weather. Ice, snow, sleet, freezing rain...it all makes me anxious. And anxiety turns into crabbiness real quick in these parts.

3. Don't be smart or courteous. I realize that when it snows, there is an "every man for himself" mentality, but really? Not necessary. What happened to the common courtesy and decency I have become accustomed to in the Midwest? Just because snow is falling doesn't mean you get to act like a jerk.

4. Ruin my breakfast. Do you like it when someone ruins your breakfast? Not the time, but the food? No, I didn't think so.

What could the universe do to make your day bad?

Also, to all of you teachers and students who are absolutely giddy because of the snow days, go away. Nobody likes a braggart. I'd like to be home watching movies and eating bon bons too.

No comments:

Post a Comment