One of the things I really like to do is cook. And bake. And I'm pretty good at it, if I don't say so myself. I like to experiment in the kitchen, but I also have some standbys that I'm pretty darn good at. As the Dalai Lama says, one should "approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." Tonight's post is about cooking...I'll save love for a different post.
1. Macaroni and Cheese. Not the kind from the box, but homemade macaroni and cheese. The nights my mom made this for dinner were always good nights, because it is so good!
2. Pumpkin pie. I have my great-grandma's recipe for pumpkin pie and with a cup of heavy cream, it tastes as good as it is bad for you. I've made it for the past three Thanksgivings and also around Christmastime. I would feel weird eating pumpkin pie when it's not a holiday.
3. Salmon. It's hard to find good salmon in the Midwest, but I'm hoping Chicago will have better salmon than Monmouth! I'm sure it will, and then I can make salmon all the time.
4. Spaghetti. I know it's not hard, and I usually don't even make my own sauce, but I'm pretty incredible when it comes to boiling a pot of noodles. And I doctor the jar sauce to make it better. I haven't had any complaints about it yet.
5. Chocolate Chip Cookies. I have the Toll House recipe memorized and could make these cookies in my sleep! 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup white sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla... These cookies are the best when they're right out of the oven and you have a glass of ice cold milk to go along with. Don't eat all of the dough before you can make cookies though.
6. Full meals. Ok. I know this isn't anything specific, but I'm good at making all of the dishes come out at the same time. When I was home for Christmas, I made a pot roast with mashed potatoes, a green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. It all turned out wonderfully (with only a few slip ups here and there...but I took them all in stride. Ok. I cried. But we're going to pretend like I didn't.)
Of course, I'm good at making other stuff too, but this isn't meant to be an exhaustive list!
Are you any good at cooking? What's your favorite thing to make?
Only a few weeks left in Monmouth! I start my job 3 weeks from today!