Tuesday, March 22, 2011

4 Things I've Realized Lately


As I move through life and become older and (hopefully) wiser, I'm realizing things about myself that I didn't see before. This doesn't need much buildup, so we'll just go right into it.

1. I'm more like my mom than I once thought. I was talking to my dad today and said something that I've heard my mom say, and I said it with my mom's tone and inflection. It made me take pause and think, "Oh crap." But a good "oh crap," not a bad one. I'm realizing that I have a lot of my mom's personality traits. I'm fiercely loyal, crazy efficient, and extremely persistent. But I'm also a little impatient and I don't suffer fools gladly. But my mom is an amazing woman and I can only hope to become half the person she is!

2. I really value my "me time." I'm very thankful that I live alone because I'm starting to see the introverted side of my personality come out more often. Please don't read "introvert" as "shy." Introverts aren't necessarily shy, and more often than not, they only seem shy to extroverts. I enjoy talking to people (maybe a little too much..read on for explanation) and love hanging out with groups of people. Conversely, I also find those two activities to be extremely draining and after a particularly busy weekend, I usually need to sit on my couch and stare at a wall.

3. I'm turning into an old woman. I go to bed at 10 pm and wake up at 5:30 am (ok, closer to 6:30 am). My free time finds me paying bills, balancing my checkbook, and worrying about laundry, cooking, and dishes. Well, I guess instead of "old woman," I should just say "domesticated."

4. I talk WAY too much sometimes. Remember how I mentioned I was going on a date with a guy named Jon? Well, I went. And it was a nice time. But then he never called. I was reflecting on the evening and I think that I may have scared him. I drank a little wine and started talking. And talking. And talking. I'm afraid I did the same thing with a new acquaintance at a party on Saturday. I never thought I would be the one to talk too much, but I guess I am.

That's all for now. Have a lovely evening, friends!

*I know the picture is random and that I usually try to make my picture match the subject. However, how can you resist gerbils in teacups? That's right. You can't.

2 comments:

  1. Decided to check out your blog and let me just say this list is very true and relatable :) I too have noticed that after college, I am turning into my mom, definitely like my "me" time, I don't like saying I'm old..but more like "responsible/domesticated", and I've always known that people probably think I talk too much (especially after a few drinks) lol. Anyways, just thought I'd let you know I enjoyed reading this and hope your doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post! Glad you are reflecting on who you are as a person! I love how we are growing up, learning more about who we are as humans, and enjoying who we are becoming! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete