Thursday, September 8, 2011

Realizations

Over the past few weeks, I've come to quite a few realizations. Some of them big, some relatively small. Some joyful, some heartbreaking. Here are a few of them.

I really, really love baking. I recently got a cupcake pan (finally!) and a pie dish and a cake pan. So far I've only made cupcakes, but they were beautiful and delicious and consumed before a picture could be taken. Next time, internet.

Friends aren't always what (or who) you want them to be. The person you used to tell your biggest life secrets to sometimes turns into a stranger. The person who used to be in the periphery can end up taking a leading role in your life. Someone you considered a best friend might not feel the same way about you. It's all very dependent on where you are in life and what you consider important.

Not everything is a personal attack. This is a realization I had to come to while job searching, and it's a realization I had to come to again, more recently. Things aren't really going the way I had become accustomed to, but it's not my fault. I feel like some of it is happening because I didn't do something right or failed to meet some expectation, but the reality is, that's not the case. Things are changing because things change. Things happen one way because that's the way one person decided it should happen.

Communication is key. I'm really bad at communication sometimes. I avoid confrontation like there's no tomorrow and will put off unpleasant conversations until the situation is worse than I could have ever imagined. No matter where you are or what you do, being an effective communicator is the most important skill you will ever need.

Some things just don't make sense. And probably never will. But it is pointless to try to find sense in senseless things.

That's all for now. I'll try to be better about this. And more happy. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment